You can now order signed books!!!
I’m thrilled to officially announce my latest book, HELLO, FUTURE ME, set for publication in Summer 2020 with Scholastic Press. This book has been a true labor of love, and I couldn’t be more excited to share it with the world. It includes a ton fun, quirky elements, like a town that’s totally obsessed with Bigfoot, a flying garden gnome, a magical junk shop, true love and so much more!
Released February 26, 2019…drumroll please…it’s Bone Hollow!!!
In Bone Hollow, death is only the beginning…
In retrospect, it was foolish to save that chicken. On the roof. In the middle of a thunder storm. But what choice did Gabe have? If he hadn’t tried to rescue Ms. Cleo’s precious pet, she would’ve kicked him out. And while Ms. Cleo isn’t a perfect guardian, her house is the only home Gabe knows. After falling off the roof, Gabe wakes up in a room full of tearful neighbors. To his confusion, none of them seem to hear Gabe speak. It’s almost as if they think he’s dead. But Gabe’s not dead. He feels fine! So why do they insist on holding a funeral? And why does everyone scream in terror when Gabe shows up for his own candlelight vigil?
Scared and bewildered, Gabe flees with his dog, Ollie, the only creature who doesn’t tremble at the sight of him. When a mysterious girl named Wynne offers to let Gabe stay at her cozy house in a misty clearing, he gratefully accepts. Yet Wynne disappears from Bone Hollow for long stretches of time, and when a suspicious Gabe follows her, he makes a mind-blowing discovery. Wynne is Death and has been for over a century. Even more shocking . . . she’s convinced that Gabe is destined to replace her.
Skeleton Tree author Kim Ventrella returns with the wisest, funniest, and most profound middle grade adventure you’ll read in this lifetime…or the next.
Download the BONE HOLLOW Discussion Guide
Bonus for U.K. residents: I have an audiobook baby from Bolinda!
Listen to a sample on Soundcloud – http://bit.ly/2HGljou
Audiobook Buy links (note: it’s only sold in the U.K., but can be shipped to U.S.):
· Bolinda – http://bit.ly/2HQVSzT
· Audible – https://adbl.co/2TUvJY8
· Google Play – http://bit.ly/2TY538Q
· Amazon – https://amzn.to/2FyaW2y
There are lots of things that grow in backyards. Bones aren’t one of them.
Twelve-year-old Stanly knows the bone is a little weird, but that’s okay, because now he’ll have the perfect photo to submit for the Young Discoverer’s Competition. With such a unique find he’s sure to win the grand prize. But, oddly, the bone doesn’t appear in any photos. Even stranger, it seems to be growing into a full skeleton . . . one that only children can see.
There’s just one person who doesn’t find any of this weird—Stanly’s little sister. Mischievous Miren adopts the skeleton as a friend, and soon, the two become inseparable playmates. When Miren starts to grow sick, Stanly suspects that the skeleton is responsible, and does everything in his power to drive the creature away. However, Miren is desperate not to lose her friend, forcing Stanly to question everything he’s ever believed about life, love, and the mysterious forces that connect us.
Stanly only stopped once to look back at the bones. Maybe it was his imagination, but he could have sworn the finger twitched. Like it wanted him to come closer. He remembered the feeling he’d had when he first saw the bone, like nothing would ever be the same again. The bone changed things, and no matter how hard he might try, he could never go back to before.
Check out the Skeleton Tree book trailer:
Plus, the U.S. version of Skeleton Tree has a flip book! Take a look:
Download the SKELETON TREE Discussion Guide!
Order Skeleton Tree from: Amazon
A Peek Inside the UK Edition:
Skeleton Tree was also published in the UK with Macmillan Kids, where it was nominated for the 2019 Carnegie Medal. Here’s some of the amazing interior artwork by Victoria Assanelli.
Skeleton Tree was also released in Italian by Editrice Il Castoro, yay!
- “Skeleton Tree is a powerful and tender story. Kim Ventrella knows when to be playful and when to break your heart.” —Cassie Beasley, NYT-bestelling author of Circus Mirandus
- “Like Markus Zusak’s The Book Thief, Skeleton Tree upends the myth of the Grim Reaper. Scary, sad, funny and always so, so sweet, Skeleton Tree will haunt me and remind me that life is miraculous when it’s rooted in hope and empathy.” —Paul Griffin, author of Burning Blue and When Friendship Followed Me Home
- “Ventrella’s comforting storytelling reveals a magical world where a skeleton can grow and where a family’s love for each other can provide healing.” —School Library Journal
- “[An] emotional roller coaster tempered by a touch of magic and a resilient, likable protagonist.” –Kirkus Reviews
- “Quietly powerful; dark yet whimsical . . .” –Booklist
- “…an ambitious debut story of magical thinking…” —Kirkus Reviews