Thanks for visiting my About Me page. If you’re ever in the Oklahoma City metro area, you might find me:
- Racing my dog in the park
- Wishing for rain
- Accidentally killing houseplants
I have always been a little on the weird side, in case you were wondering. Although, if you’ve read my books, you probably know that. If not, you can kind of tell from the picture. Am I right? I definitely appear to be crafting a diabolical plan of some sort.
- Fact: I once ate part of a giant cockroach (not on purpose).
- Fact: I have held many different jobs, including working as a ‘scare actor’ in a haunted house. My character was an evil clown, probably because of my love of Tim Curry.
- Fact: If you eat a whole shrimp for the first time and think, “Hmm, why is this so crunchy?,” you’re doing it wrong. What can I say? I’ve led a very sheltered life (in culinary terms).
So, are you ready for my SUPER OFFICIAL author bio? Here it is:
KIM VENTRELLA is the author of the middle grade novels Hello, Future Me, Bone Hollow and Skeleton Tree, and she is a contributor to the upcoming anthology, Don’t Turn Out the Lights: A Tribute to Alvin Schwartz’s Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark. Her works explore difficult topics with big doses of humor, whimsy and hope. Kim has held a variety of interesting jobs, including children’s librarian, scare actor, Peace Corps volunteer and French instructor, but her favorite job title is author. She lives in Oklahoma City with her dog and co-writer, Hera. Find out more at https://kimventrella.com/ or follow Kim on Twitter and Instagram.
**That is not my official author photo by the way, but I am a huge fan of wigs.
Wow, that was fun. How about we change things up now with a Lightning Round?
- Favorite color: black
- First concert: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles live (Raphael rapped)
- Personal slogan: I want to believe (yup, that’s totally from The X-Files)
- Tea or coffee?: both
- Secret ambition: to be a digital artist; to dress super goth
- Favorite spooky book: The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
- Hogwarts house: Gryffindor
- Favorite holiday: Halloween
- Dog’s name: Hera
- When did you write your first book?: 6th grade; it was a super tragic picture book about these five people who all lose someone they love and form “The Wednesday Mourning Club” to deal with their grief. Yup, total children’s picture book material 😛 Oh, and spoiler alert, the last meeting of The Wednesday Mourning Club takes place at the main character’s funeral. What can I say? I was a cheery kid.
How about a longer question: what was your favorite book as a child?
Well, thanks for asking, self! That’s an easy one. It was THE GIVING TREE by Shel Silverstein. Yes, it’s a super sad book about self-sacrifice and death, but, as you can probably tell, I like that sort of thing. I also loved Agatha Christie and those SCARY STORIES TO TELL IN THE DARK collections. Oh so deliciously spooky!
Okay, one more question and that’ll be all for now. Why do you write?
Whoa, now that’s a good one. I’ve heard people say that fiction is more true than true. I believe that. I also write worlds I want to live in. Worlds where bad things happen, but also worlds where magic lives and people always find the courage to overcome.
For more information about me, check out some of the interviews I’ve done here: https://kimventrella.com/press-kit/. They’re all the way at the bottom, so stretch out your fingers and prepare for a little scrolling.